Skip to main content
ComplianceData Protection

TikTok Settles Child Privacy Suit for $400 Million

Government building with tall windows and formal podium, daytime setting.

"This settlement is a major victory for American children and parents," said Associate Attorney General Stanley E. Woodward Jr.

The Department of Justice and the shape of the settlement

The U.S. Department of Justice announced on Friday that ByteDance-owned TikTok will pay $400 million to resolve a 2024 lawsuit alleging violations of U.S. child privacy law. According to the DoJ press release, the payment will be structured as $300 million paid immediately and an additional $100 million payable "upon entry of an order vacating a prior consent decree entered against TikTok’s predecessor, Musical.ly."

The DoJ described the outcome as "one of the largest recoveries ever" obtained under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), the federal statute at the center of the suit.

What the August 2024 complaint alleged

The complaint filed in August 2024 — brought jointly with the Federal Trade Commission — accused TikTok of "massive-scale invasions of children's privacy." It said the company knowingly permitted children under 13 to create TikTok accounts and unlawfully collected data from users of the platform’s "Kids Mode." The filing further alleged that TikTok and parent company ByteDance failed to "comply with parents' requests to delete their children's accounts and information."

TikTok’s response and the DoJ’s recognition of product changes

TikTok disputed the complaint's arguments at the time, saying many of the claims related to "past events and practices" that were either "factually inaccurate or have been addressed." The DoJ noted in its announcement that the company has since implemented "extensive measures to improve safeguards for younger users, strengthen age-related controls, and improve parental oversight." The settlement therefore pairs a substantial monetary recovery with DoJ recognition of product and policy changes the company says it has made.

Regulatory context: prior European fine and U.S. operating arrangement

The DoJ release placed the settlement in a broader regulatory context. In September 2023, TikTok was fined €345 million for alleged violations of the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation in relation to processing children’s personal data. The DoJ also noted that earlier this year a U.S. joint venture allowed the app to continue operating in the country without a ban under a divest-or-ban law that the Supreme Court upheld.

What this means for parents, the Department of Justice and the company

  • Parents and guardians: The DoJ framed the settlement as securing protections families "expect and deserve," and the outcome links monetary recovery with stronger age-related controls and parental oversight that the DoJ says TikTok has implemented.
  • The Department of Justice and the FTC: The settlement resolves a joint enforcement action and, in the DoJ's words, represents a major recovery under COPPA, signaling an aggressive enforcement posture tied to remedy and remediation.
  • ByteDance and TikTok: The company will make an immediate $300 million payment and faces a further $100 million contingent on a court action — specifically, entry of an order vacating a consent decree against TikTok’s predecessor, Musical.ly — while continuing to highlight steps taken to address the underlying concerns.

The settlement closes one high-profile enforcement chapter while leaving a consequential condition unresolved: the additional $100 million hinges on a court vacating a prior consent decree tied to Musical.ly. That contingency, and how courts treat the request to vacate the earlier decree, will determine whether the full $400 million is realized. For now, the DoJ casts the agreement as both a financial recovery and an affirmation of enhanced protections for younger users.

Original story