Skip to main content
Geopolitics & DefenseGovernment & Policy

L3Harris Ousts CEO Kubasik Amid Conduct Investigation

Vacant CEO's office with empty nameplate and L3Harris logo.

“not consistent with the values of the company as outlined in its code of conduct,” the company said, announcing that Chris Kubasik had stepped down effective immediately.

Sam Mehta promoted from space and mission systems president to CEO

L3Harris Technologies’ board moved quickly to promote Sam Mehta to chief executive, elevating him from his role as president of space and mission systems. Mehta joined L3Harris in 2023 as president of the communications segment and took on the additional title of president of the space and mission systems segment at the start of this year. The board announced the promotion on Monday as part of an abrupt leadership transition.

Board action follows an internal code of conduct investigation into Chris Kubasik

Chris Kubasik, who had been L3Harris’ CEO since June 2021, stepped down immediately from the positions of CEO, chairman and member of the board of directors after the board said it had entered into a separation agreement with him. The board’s decision followed an investigation that found conduct by Kubasik that was “not consistent with the values of the company as outlined in its code of conduct.” L3Harris added that the alleged conduct was not related to its financial reporting, controls, customer relationships or operational performance.

Missile Solutions IPO, Defense Department investment, and recent space deals

The leadership change occurs in a year of major strategic moves for L3Harris centered on its missile and space businesses. The company announced intentions to take the Missile Solutions segment public after a $1 billion investment from the Defense Department. L3Harris had originally eyed the second half of this year for the initial public offering, but Kubasik told investors in July that the IPO is being delayed until at least mid-2027 because of market conditions the company sees as not reflecting the value of Mission Solutions. Separately, L3Harris closed the sale of a 60% stake this month in its space propulsion and power systems business to AE Industrial Partners, while retaining a 40% stake.

Other executive moves: Barnes, Aebli, and a new chairman

The company’s announcement included several internal promotions beyond the CEO change. Lauren Barnes was promoted to president of the space and mission systems segment from her prior role as president of spectrum superiority. Christopher Aebli, formerly president of mission critical communications, was elevated to president of the communications and spectrum dominance segment. On the board, Lewis Hay III — a member of the L3Harris and predecessor boards since 2002 who previously served as lead independent director — was elected chairman.

How the Defense Department, investors, and customers are affected

  • Defense Department: With a $1 billion investment in Missile Solutions, the Defense Department is a named financier of the planned IPO and will have a direct interest in the timing and structure of that public offering as the company navigates leadership change and the sale-retention of space assets.
  • Investors: Public and private investors will monitor the postponed IPO timeline — now delayed until at least mid-2027 — and how the new chief executive addresses the valuation concerns Kubasik cited in July when he said market conditions do not reflect the value of Mission Solutions.
  • Customers: L3Harris’ statement that the alleged conduct was not related to customer relationships or operational performance directly signals to procurement and operational customers that service and program continuity are being presented by the company as intact despite the executive turnover.

Chris Kubasik’s tenure as CEO began after he oversaw the completion of the integration of L3 Technologies and Harris Corp. following their 2019 merger and included the $4.7 billion acquisition of Aerojet Rocketdyne in 2023. Those strategic moves, together with the Missile Solutions IPO plan and the recent 60% sale of the space propulsion and power systems business, mean the new chief executive inherits a company in the middle of high-stakes financial and portfolio transitions. The board has framed Kubasik’s exit as a matter of conduct unrelated to accounting, customers or operations; what remains concrete now is whether Sam Mehta can steady those financial initiatives — the postponed IPO, the retained 40% stake after the AE Industrial Partners deal, and the broader integration of recent acquisitions — under the scrutiny of investors and the Defense Department.

Read the original Defense One report