Skip to main content
Geopolitics & DefenseNational Security

US Scales Back South Korea Military Exercise Citing Cost and Hostility Concerns

Military personnel in formal attire gather around a large table in a briefing room with a blank screen and window.

“These exercises are not only costly […] but send a signal that is completely inappropriate and hostile,” President Donald Trump wrote in a social media post, announcing a sweeping cutback to U.S. participation in a major joint exercise with South Korea.

Trump’s announcement and the order to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth

The president framed the decision around cost and strategic messaging toward Pyongyang, writing that the exercises “send a signal that is completely inappropriate and hostile,” and pointing to his “very good relationship” with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. He wrote that it was “too late” to cancel U.S. participation in Ulchi Freedom Shield this month, but instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” the entire exercise. In the same post, the president linked the move to Seoul’s unwillingness to take military action on Iran, recounting that he had asked the President of South Korea if they wanted to “join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!’”

What Ulchi Freedom Shield normally involves

Ulchi Freedom Shield is a large-scale, annual joint exercise conducted by South Korea and the United States. The source notes that in past years it has included large-scale live-fire events, close air support and air interdiction missions involving thousands of training sorties, and special operations forces countering simulated weapons of mass destruction. This year’s iteration was “slated to kick off today and run through Aug. 27,” the reporting states.

Pentagon reaction and the missing US Forces Korea webpage

A Pentagon spokesperson declined to provide specifics about what a reduction in U.S. participation would mean in practice, and referred all questions to the White House. Separately, a U.S. Forces Korea webpage on the exercise displayed a “page not found” message Monday morning while lawmakers began weighing in on the announcement.

Responses from Capitol Hill

Sen. Mark Kelly, an Arizona Democrat who sits on the Senate Armed Services Committee, called the president’s social-media announcement “shortsighted and a mistake,” arguing that U.S. ability to help defend South Korea depends on well-trained forces and coordination with Seoul. Sen. Andy Kim of New Jersey said he was concerned that the post “suggests a disregard” for the U.S.-South Korea relationship and emphasized that “Decisions about joint exercises need to be made jointly — and not announced unilaterally by social media.”

Bigger strategic context: force posture, defense strategy, and readiness tradeoffs

The decision arrives amid broader friction between the United States and allied governments over support for the U.S. campaign in Iran, and amid internal U.S. debates about force posture on the Korean Peninsula. The administration’s then-new National Defense Strategy, quoted in the reporting, stated: “South Korea is capable of taking primary responsibility for deterring North Korea with critical but more limited U.S. support. South Korea also has the will to do so, given that it faces a direct and clear threat from North Korea. This shift in the balance of responsibility is consistent with America’s interest in updating U.S. force posture on the Korean Peninsula.”

At the same time, U.S. commanders are weighing readiness pressures driven by increased commitments elsewhere. U.S. Pacific Air Forces Commander Gen. Kevin Schneider warned late last month that the military was reevaluating its upcoming exercise schedule “to help preserve ‘readiness’ in the face of increased commitments around the globe, including the Middle East.” Schneider said commanders were “looking at … how we manage [readiness] against … all the other things that are going on around the world,” and that leaders had been “identifying, amongst commanders, where we’re going to take risk or how we manage the risks as we prioritize … [efforts] in the CENTCOM [Central Command] region right now.”

How South Korea, the U.S. military, and lawmakers are positioned

  • South Korea: The president’s post framed Seoul’s response on Iran as a factor in the decision; the quoted National Defense Strategy language in the reporting also describes Seoul taking “primary responsibility” for deterring the North with “critical but more limited U.S. support.”
  • The U.S. military: Commanders are reported to be balancing readiness needs across regions, reassessing exercise schedules because of higher demands on assets in Central Command while also being directed by the White House to reduce participation in a specific exercise.
  • Lawmakers: Senators publicly criticized the unilateral announcement and urged that decisions about joint exercises be made jointly with allies rather than announced on social media.

The administration’s instruction to “substantially reduce” U.S. involvement in Ulchi Freedom Shield, coupled with the public tensions highlighted in the president’s post and lawmakers’ reactions, leaves a narrow set of facts on the record: a major exercise scheduled to run through Aug. 27 will proceed with diminished U.S. participation, the Pentagon deferred details to the White House, and military and political leaders must now reconcile operational readiness, alliance management, and strategic messaging in real time.

Read the original report