"From fiscal year 2023 through this year, the Army had nine fatalities from nineteen Class A mishaps."
Grounding schedule spelled out in internal memo
An internal Aug. 14 memo reviewed by Defense One instructed that the AH-64 Apache fleet safety stand down “concludes on midnight Tuesday” and that “flight operations [are] resuming on Wednesday 19 August.” The memo directed commands to use the stand down for aviation academics and safety topics, and said senior commanders would participate with opening remarks “provided by general officers, who will articulate the importance of this event.”
The Fort Hood maintenance flight that triggered the stand down
On Aug. 12 two soldiers — Chief Warrant Officer 2 Deontre T. Huey and Warrant Officer Seth L. Olmstead — died during a maintenance test flight out of Fort Hood. Army officials announced a stand down of AH-64 Apache training flight operations in a Friday news release saying it “will remain in effect until we have a better understanding of the root cause of the accident.” Investigations into the crash are ongoing, and a U.S. official told Defense One the service was “able to eliminate the transmission as a causal factor.”

Audit-ready is a season. It shouldn't be.
Evidence in spreadsheets, controls drifting between audits, frameworks multiplying on flat headcount. Nubivance runs continuous compliance on Rapid7 Cyber GRC - SOC 2, HIPAA, ISO 27001, PCI, CMMC.
End the scrambleTransmission anomalies earlier this year and Boeing’s involvement
Defense One reported three months earlier that an investigation had identified a transmission problem on some Apache models that could “result in loss of tail rotor thrust, electrical power, and hydraulics.” That report said some of the AH-64 Echo models had to be grounded as a result. Mark Ballew, Boeing Defense, Space, and Security’s senior director of business development and strategy for vertical lift, told Defense One at the Farnborough Airshow that “Boeing does have crews that are there working with the U.S. Army on some of those components,” adding, “So our team's been there, they’ve been working there for the last month-plus on that.” A Boeing spokesman later told Defense One the company is still working with the Army on the transmission problem.
CENTCOM exemption and operational pressure
The memo makes a specific operational carve-out: “CENTCOM deployed formations are exempt from the safety stand down requirements.” The article notes Apaches are being relied on during the ongoing war in Iran, are part of major foreign military sales this year, and have been used for transport of Defense Department leaders and celebrities. In June, U.S. Central Command said an Apache went down near the coast of Oman while “patrolling international waters”; after the helicopter was reportedly struck by an Iranian drone, the U.S. military deployed a Navy drone boat to rescue the downed crew.
How the Army, Boeing, and CENTCOM are positioned now
- The Army: paused AH-64 training flights and scheduled a stand down focused on academics and safety briefings while the accident investigation continues; a U.S. official has said the transmission was eliminated as a causal factor in the Aug. 12 crash.
- Boeing: acknowledged teams working with the Army “on some of those components” and confirmed continued collaboration through a company spokesman.
- CENTCOM: designated deployed formations exempt from the stand down, maintaining operational continuity for forces engaged overseas despite the temporary pause in stateside training flights.
The sequence laid out in the documents and statements is straightforward: an Aug. 12 maintenance test flight killed two soldiers; Army leadership ordered a stand down; an Aug. 14 memo set a short timetable for safety-focused activities and an imminent resumption of flight training; and separate technical work on a previously disclosed transmission problem continues with Boeing's involvement. Investigators have already excluded the transmission as the cause of the Fort Hood accident, but the broader transmission issue identified earlier this year remains an active engineering concern.
What remains clear from the record in Defense One: the Army intends to resume AH-64 training flights on Aug. 19 after a focused safety stand down, investigators continue to examine the Aug. 12 crash, Boeing continues to work with the service on transmission components, and CENTCOM’s deployed formations will continue flying without interruption.




